September 29, 2020 | technology | No Comments
(Bloomberg) — The board of NTT Docomo Inc. is holding a meeting Tuesday to discuss Nippon Telegraph & Telephone Corp.’s plans to turn its wireless carrier unit into a wholly owned subsidiary, suggesting that the deal may be announced as soon as today.
The buyout could be worth 4 trillion yen ($38 billion), based on a 30% premium to Monday’s closing price in Tokyo, the Nikkei newspaper reported earlier. That would make it the largest tender offer for a Japanese company in history, according to the Nikkei.
The shares of Docomo were untraded at the start of trading in Tokyo, as buy orders outpaced offers. NTT shares, which are trading today without the right to the next dividend, declined as much as 3.4%.
“This matter is scheduled to be submitted to a meeting of the board of directors held today,” Docomo said in a statement, adding that it would “make an announcement promptly” once a decision is made.
NTT already holds 66.2% of the mobile carrier, which is Japan’s largest. Docomo was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange’s First Section in 1998 and remains Japan’s sixth biggest company by market value, according to Bloomberg data.
Newly appointed Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has made a reduction in the mobile bills charged by Docomo and Japan’s other major carriers a priority for his new administration. The policy follows a series of attacks led by Suga against the mobile operators in 2018, when he was chief cabinet secretary under Shinzo Abe.
While his campaign had some success, encouraging Rakuten Inc. to enter the market and scrapping fees aimed at discouraging customers from switching carriers, it did little to introduce true competition. Since first announcing his intention to take over as prime minister, he has continued to raise the issue.
With government documents showing data-heavy users in Tokyo pay more than three times for a monthly contract than users in Paris, reducing phone bills would be a quick win and therefore a priority for Suga to avoid being seen as a caretaker leader, market watchers have said. Taking Docomo private will allow NTT to better handle the negative impact of lower mobile bills, the Nikkei said. In a mid-term plan in 2018 amid Suga’s attacks, Docomo had already signaled its profits would drop until fiscal 2023.
Shares in Docomo are down more than 9% in Tokyo since Abe announced his resignation last month, wiping almost $10 billion off its market value. Docomo depository receipts surged as much as 29% in U.S. trading after the Nikkei report.
(Updates with share reaction.)
For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com
©2020 Bloomberg L.P.